First up was two coats of acrylic paint...I chose Delta Ceramcoat Oyster White. Because the bird is resin, it took longer than usual for the paint to dry. I used a sponge brush because the surface is rough and I didn't want to ruin my good brushes (been there, done that). Thin coats are always better than thick. To paint around the eyes and legs, I used a cheap paintbrush from a children's set. Looking at my painted bird, something seemed "off." It was the beak...I should've left it unpainted. Oh, well, nothing a little black paint won't fix.
I wanted to add a light, curlicue-type of design using black cardstock, so I searched through my Cricut cartridges and found this leaf on the Stretch Your Imagination cart (*see Cricut cutting details at the end of this post). You also could freehand a design on cardstock and cut with an X-acto blade, use patterned paper and cut a wing shape, or use stickers. Rub-on transfers won't work as the surface is too uneven. After trimming off the stems of my leaves, I brushed some Mod Podge on the back of the cardstock and pressed the elements in place. They bonded almost instantly, so I didn't have to hold them down forever. My bird needed a little something extra, so I gave him a crest feather like a quail, cut from black cardstock and attached with Mod Podge.
For more dollar store bird projects, check out Dollar Store Crafts.
*Cricut cutting info: Stretch Your Imagination cart, low speed, pressure 4, blade depth 4. Wings cut from 'leaf-s'